Saturday, September 27, 2014

Obligation of Friendship

Last Saturday, as I was pondering my purpose at college and eating Chick-fil-a waffle fries, I was approached by a physics classmate wondering why on earth I would be on campus on a Saturday morning. He wasn't one of the really strange physics guys who really live up to their stereotype, so the moment wasn't completely ruined, but I wasn't in much of a mood to talk. I only mentioned physics homework, awkwardly and begrudgingly

He apparently didn't get the hint, because he then offered to show me where the physics lab was, right then and there.

I went. I needed to know.

Over the next two hours, we walked up to north campus, realized we both lived south, turned around, walked to his apartment, realized my apartment was 7 blocks in the opposite direction, and walked there.

The following week, he sat next to me whenever we had class together. My roommates went berserk over the whole situation, but I was happy to finally have a friend under no obligations.

What do I mean by "no obligations"? I have three roommates, and we're all best buds. I have a friend I do physics homework every day with. I sit next to an old friend from good 'ole California in our only class together. I hang out with my cousins and have a great time with them.

All of these people have an obligation to be my friend. I have to be friendly and enjoy my roommates, or else my college experience sucks. I live with them. I became friends with the girl in my physics class simply because we are the only girls in that class, and we needed study partners. I have to be friends with the guy from back home because we have always been friends, and we share a common background. (also I had a huuuge crush on him in 5th grade but that's another story). And my cousins are my family. They have to make me feel welcome in this crazy new life of college.

Every friendship I have here can be traced back to a moment when we knew we would have to form bonds between us or things wouldn't work out well. This in no way detracts from the friendship or compromises its legitimacy, but there is a certain attitude about the relationship that makes it seem tragic and frail.

So you can imagine how happy I was to know that someone, without any want, need, social duty or other obligation was actually interested in me, and me alone. He didn't need to stop and ask why I was at school on a Saturday morning, nor did he have to scan the room to find me and sit at the desk closest to mine.

But he did. And because he did I feel as though there is something about me that can encourage a friendship, something special that captured someone's attention and gave me an opportunity to show myself to another.

In short, I'm on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment